Two questions we receive often are:
1. Is it possible to change a dog’s name after you adopt them?
Answer: You can absolutely change your dog’s name. Many people change the dog’s name to represent a fresh start for the dog, especially if the dog’s past was negative.
2. How do you teach dogs their name?
1. Go to a room that is quiet and low distraction
2. Say the name ONCE in a happy voice
3. When the dog looks at you, say “yes” to mark the behavior *
4. provide a treat and affection
5. Repeat steps
Advance your training:
1. Practice Steps 1 – 4 in different rooms of your home
2. Slowly add distraction levels and locations for practice.
*can use a clicker in place of the word “yes” to mark the behavior.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for dog tips and information. Have a question? Leave it below in the comments.
Watch our non-fancy, video to see the training steps in action.
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ISCDTDogTrainerSchool/
Our 18 week online program is a hands-on program where students are required to work with dogs. Skill and ability is determined through a series of videos submitted to the school. We also offer a 2-week and 4-month in-person internship. To learn more about the courses we offer, visit ISCDT.com